In two months, Destination Hikes In and Around Southwestern British Columbia will finally be out in the world. I can’t wait for y’all to see and touch it.
Actually, I can’t wait to unbox it myself. The publication date is May 11.
Until then, this sneak peek will have to suffice. Check out a few spreads from Destination Hikes.
Each of the 55 hikes described is assigned four pages. The book provides:
- “Hikes at a Glance” and “Hikes by the Numbers” charts
- Complete trail descriptions and commentary
- Detailed driving directions (and transit routes where available)
- Distances, estimated times, elevation gains, and high points
- Difficulty and quality ratings
- Icons indicating each hike’s special attractions (big trees, swimming holes, history, etc.)
- GPS coordinates for trailheads and important waypoints
- Topographic maps
- Numerous full-colour photos
- Notes on conservation, culture, ecology, geology, and history
- Rules and regulations
- Kid-friendly and shoulder-season recommendations
- Tips on outdoor safety, ethics, and etiquette
In addition, each hike comes with a recommended “Stop of Interest.” These are waterfalls, viewpoints, historic sites, local museums, and other points of interest — on the way to a hike or in the vicinity — worth visiting.